Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Three Artists I Admire

The idea for this post popped into my head while knitting today.
There are so many people in this world that I admire, many of them activists and artists. I would like to dedicate this post to three artists whom I greatly admire.

Frida Kahlo


I have recently been reading everything I can about Frida Kahlo. I bought three used biographies about her, and have been studying her paintings. She was such an incredible, unique artist. She was a revolutionary leftist, proud of her Mexican heritage, and wildly imaginative. Despite being in chronic pain her whole life as a result of a trolly accident when she was a teenager, she is described as being full of life, emotion, and joy. These emotions, as well as her pain, frustration, and fear came through in her art work, which at times was dark and morbid, and at other times bursting with color and energy. She was a teacher, a caring daughter, a critic of Western imperialism, and a source of inspiration to her students. When I read about Frida, I want to paint. I want to paint anything I can think of.

Yokoo


I love knitting. Knitting (& crotchet!) is craft and art, past and present. Yokoo reminds you of that. She reminds you that what you can make with your hands is art. I found her shop on etsy quite a while ago and was enthralled. Her photographs are quirky and elegant simultaneously. Her style is defiant. I don't know why, it just is. She makes me want to be the best at knitting that I can be. She creates her own world, right there in the photo, right there in the yarn. It's the kind of world you want to walk into, the kind of place where you want to stay for a while. It's accessible, but it's distant, faraway. It's a long journey.
Check out her etsy store or her tumblr, and let yourself see what I see.

Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Yokoo?ref=seller_info
Tumblr: http://yokoo.tumblr.com/


Marissa Paternoster




I was 17 years old (Spring 2007) when I first witnessed Marissa Paternoster.
It was at Asbury Lanes, a punk rock bowling alley, and the band Screaming Females would be performing. I had heard of them before, I think I'd even heard a song of theirs at some point. I wasn't all that interested, I was at the show that night to see For Science. Marissa walked on stage, guitar in hand, dressed in a poofy white wedding dress. I was intrigued. But then it happened. And I mean it HAPPENED. The most amazing voice, insanely perfect guitar solos, sonic perfection. My jaw hit the ground as I watched, mesmorized by a style and energy of music I had never experienced before. My brain chemistry was altered that day. I would never be the same. Now four years later, four full-length albums (not to mention her solo work as Noun), and having been to dozens of Screaming Females shows, I can say that at times, I am still as in awe as the first time I witnessed her on stage. Marissa is also an amazing artist, creating drawings and paintings that capture your worst nightmares and greatest fears. On my right shoulder is a tattoo of an ancient angel, borrowed art off of the Screaming Females first album (and drawn by Marissa).
Note: Jarrett D. [drums] and King Mike [bass] make up the rhythm section of the Screaming Females. They are really cool guys, and amazing musicians. Even though this post is mostly about Marissa, these guys are too awesome to be ignored!

Here's some footage from a recent show in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
Follow the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMKPJqb_EAc

Knit. Purl. Revolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment